Peer Review Guidelines
The scientific quality of the books is guaranteed by a standardized peer review process. The peer review process is independent and meets nationally and internationally recognized standards.
Peer review while establishing a publication series:
- The team of BerlinUP Books reviews the submitted series proposal and exposé and presents them to the Board of Directors and the Scientific Advisory Board.
- Both committees check whether the series fits into the publishing program or not.
- The editors assure the publisher that a quality assurance procedure accepted and established in the respective discipline (usually peer review) is applied for the individual volumes.
Peer review while including a publication outside of a publication series
- The team of BerlinUP Books reviews the submitted book proposal and exposé and presents them to the Board of Directors and the Scientific Advisory Board.
- Both committees check whether the publication fits into the publishing program or not.
- After a positive decision by the Board of Directors and the Scientific Advisory Board, the manuscript is submitted to two reviewers. The reviewers look through the manuscript and answer standardized questions.
- Eventually, the team of BerlinUP Books passes the results of the reviews on to the authors. The authors are asked to revise the manuscript or respond to the comments.
- After completion of the review process, the authors are invited to a meeting with the publisher, where they are informed about the further publishing process and the publishing contract is concluded.
Reviewer Recognition Certificate
In recognition of the review service, BerlinUP Books can issue a Reviewer Recognition Certificate to the reviewers upon request.
Welchen Standards genügt das Peer Review?
The following international standards serve as the basis for the BerlinUP peer review standards:
- Ethical guidelines for peer reviewers | Committee on Publication Ethics
- PRISM: Peer Review Information Service for Monographs | Directory of Open Access Books
- Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing
In addition, the reviewers are bound by the Guidelines for Safeguarding Good Research Practice of the German Research Foundation.